We are really delighted that a few Ukrainian Refugee families are now arriving in Weston and the need to support these people is growing so we have arranged to hold a ROC WSM Ukrainian Support meeting on Tuesday 3rd May 2022 at St Paul’s Church from 15:30 to 17:30 (we expect it to end by 17:00 but have allowed two hours). We have set it up as a ticketing event and people can sign in here – please do sign up so we have an idea of numbers!
We hope to have:
- David Bagnall and/or Mark Francis - Representatives from NSC Resettlement team to describe what the process is from Local Authority perspective
- Dave and Penny Hynds will discuss what it feels like as sponsors and share their learning
- Someone from health and education will discuss how to register guests in GP surgeries and get children into schools, - David Crossman (VANS) and Some Ukrainians already living in Weston to outline the role volunteers are taking and what support is available
- Someone from the churches/faith groups will update on what the churches are doing
- Shena from Refugees Welcome North Somerset Group will help share learning from settling refugees from Afghan and Syria
Anyone with an interest is welcome to attend this meeting. We will have the facilities to video the session and post it on our YouTube channel afterwards for those who can’t attend.
NB The WSM Homes for Ukrainians Facebook Group now has over 200 members (210 to be accurate but that is over 200! 😊) and includes a number of host families, prospective host families and refugees as well as others who wish to support in other ways.
Please do register for the 3rd May Meeting HERE